April 30, 2018 - Hell on Heels MC


The sun shone brightly as Tess rode up the mountain track at the MC. It had been a busy week of Bike Nights, Game Nights, and Rides. These things happened on a weekly basis and Tess was really starting to fall into a good rhythm with things. Part of her, however, still felt like something was missing. She had ben helping out with hosting at the Bike Nights and it was a great way to meet new people, but she still longed for more purpose with the club. 



At one section of the track, Tess stopped when she saw the rows of flags along the railings. She noticed one that had a military symbol on the crest and she leaned against the bars of her bike to think. Her grandfather had fought in the Second World War and had trained soldiers in the Netherlands. After the war, he had worked on rebuilding the bridges that had been destroyed in the war. During the last year of his life, Tess had sat down with him and wrote out his memoirs. 

Tess thought about that and how important it was to share those stories, especially because the number of veterans from that war were diminishing. She knew too that heir own Sergeant at Arms, Turbo, had been to Iraq and back. Tess turned around and headed back down the track to the SAA Office. 


She went up to the door and knocked. Turbo called out that it was open and she let herself inside. Turbo was sitting at his desk, reading something on his computer. “Hey bro, do you have a second?" Tess asked, leaning against a chair. 

“Hey! Yeah, have a seat," he said with a smile, but then looked at her with concern. “Is there something wrong?” 

“No, everything's fine," Tess promised as she sat down. "I was just out for a ride and I got inspired about something, but I’m gonna need your help.” 

"Sure, what’s up?” 

“I was just thinking about my grandpa who passed away a few years ago… he was a veteran from World War Two in Holland…” 

“Okay,” Turbo nodded expectantly. 

"I was thinking about how much it meant to be able to share those stories and how we can honor someone’s service just by listening to them.” 

“Speaking personally, there is no greater tribute than someone who takes time to listen,” he said with agreement. 

“Right... I just, I was thinking about how there are some veteran memorials close by. I kind of want to be more involved with the MC, but specifically in this area. I’m just not sure how, and I thought that maybe you could suggest something?” 

Turbo leaned back and smiled, thinking quietly to himself. At length he asked, “What does Nitro think about it?" 

“I haven't exactly got that far,” she admitted. “Since you have more experience with the veteran side of things… I thought it might be good to come to you.” 

“Well, I’m glad you did," he said as he leaned forward. “You’ve been with us a few months now, right? Since about Halloween?” 

“Yeah, that maze was one of my tasks." 

“Then I think it’s time to talk about giving you a role of some sort. Were you thinking about rides to these memorials, or more events with like music and such?” 

"Moreso rides... you know how much I love being on the bike. I mean, we already have Road Runner and Rachel as road captains but…" 

“Actually, Rach stepped down recently. It’ll be announced at the next Church. Is that something you’d want to commit to?” 

Tes nodded without hesitation, though she was surprised her roommate hadn't said anything. “Yeah, it definitely is.” 

"Alright, then. I’m going to talk with execs before our next meeting and put it up for the agenda. If you're voted in, we’ll move forward with that plan.” He stood and said, “I think this could be really good for you, Tess. I’m honored that you came to me about it, but you should definitely still talk it over with Nitro.” 

“Thank you bro, and I will. I’m ready to do more for us. This is home now, you know?" 

“I do know, yeah. I’m proud of you. I’ll let you know what happens,” he said and they embraced. 

Tess headed back outside feeling encouraged and hopeful. She took out her phone and dialled Nitro’s number, hoping that he would be supportive of the idea.